Sunday, August 2, 2009

Social Media and Chambers of Commerce

I just returned from the American Chamber of Commerce Executives (ACCE) annual summer convention in Raleigh, North Carolina. While there, I spoke to hundreds of chamber of commerce executives from across the country about the use of social media for advocacy.

My basic message: Don't Over-think It!

Chamber's should jump in there and give it a try to better understand the technology. Of course a strategy is needed, but the strategy can't truly be formulated until you understant the technology.

In 2007, our high water mark for e-mails sent to public officials around a single issue was about 3,000. With the addition of social media tools, that number sky-rocketed last fall to 26,000.

This stuff works and can help you effectively communicate your message to public policy officials.

1 comment:

  1. Good post. I saw that Curt Moss referenced it on Kyle Sexton's ChamberPeople.com. I created a response to Curt's question at http://frankkennysblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-we-grew-our-membership-by-85-in-18.html

    Basically, I said, just do it. The risks are greater from not doing it than from doing it.

    ReplyDelete